Work in Progress - Red Hat Lady

I got some great photos at the Red Hat meeting and was able to start on a drawing.  I hope I can get back to it in the next day or two, as it isn't going to take too much time to finish now. 

I'll have to put in the table she's leaning on of course, and you know how I hate putting in backgrounds and furniture, but I don't always have a choice.  The details in her hat and clothing will be fun though.  Believe it or not - I had the most trouble with her hair of all things.  Hair usually isn't a problem for me but for some reason it was on this drawing.  Oh well. 





Don't you just love the hats?  I knew when I saw this woman, she reminded me of Degas' painting.  But Degas was trying to convey solitude and loneliness in his picture - which isn't my intention here.  Although I might copy his idea of having the table "floating". 


L'Absinthe or The Absinthe Drinker, by Edgar Degas, 1876.  The painting is at the Musee d'Orsay in Paris.