Drawing #18


This is a quick drawing of Ranji. How beautiful is this woman hey? Inside and out.

I was reading about a man named Rikyu (lived in the 1500s) who made tea cups and perfected the Japanese tea ceremony, utilizing a concept called wabi-sabi. I realized I usually think about these types of things when I do my drawings, especially the quick ones. (things like imperfection, incompleteness, simplicity, modesty etc).

Since I’m neither Buddhist nor Japanese, I tried to find some Swedish concepts that could describe quick, simple, imperfect, yet genuine drawings, but I couldn’t. Actually, I couldn’t even find an English word that fits that style. The Swedes have a term “Lagom” which is close to “balance”, and the Danish people have “Hygge” which is like cosy. But the wabi-sabi is more fitting – so until I find something more descriptive, then here’s “My wabi-sabi rendition of Ranji”.

This drawing is part of my Tea Party Mashup Exhibition that I'm working on.  If you want to see how I'm progressing .... this is the link....http://teapartymashup.blogspot.ca/